Friday, June 7, 2013

The Perfect Storm

This week at work, I was working night shift and three shifts in a row. My least favorite. Nonetheless, I survived it. I received a call at 4:20 pm asking if I could float to the ICU tonight. By the way, for full time day walkers, 4:20 pm is my 4:20 am when I am on night shift. Are you awake at 4:20 am prior to going to work. I didn't think so. A very hard concept for full time day walkers to understand.

I arrived on the 28 bed unit and was quickly greeted by several nurses very appreciative of being willing to help them out for the night. I continue to say that the people at Virginia Hospital Center are freakishly nice. I would highly recommend this hospital to anyone.

I was assigned "the easiest assignment" on the floor. Always the kiss of death for a nurse. Never say that. Something always go wrong. I had two patients, one of which yes was a very easy patient. The other patient was a dear patient 74 year old that I spoke genuinely about the fact that she was angry that she survived a colon surgery; as she faced her life as she knew before with a new colostomy. She was an active gardener, dancer, and full of life. She discussed with me how her husband made her promise to not give up. She told me she had prayed that she would not wake up from surgery. I am always amazed at the honesty in conversation and emotions that one will express to a nurse. She was a cute lady and her fear, anger, and moments of confusion were palpable. The passing of my father really made me stop and listen to those around me. It taught that everyone has a story and they are really just looking for someone to listen and validate their feelings and emotions. We too often are too wrapped up in our technology driven, self satisfying, and future driven lives to just be and enjoy the sights and sounds of today. Though, it is always the the cute enjoyable patients that you soon learn that have transfer orders and you must move out of the ICU. So I transferred her to another floor.

I then took a few moments to meet another nurse on the unit, whom was very appreciative for my help, and even taught her a few tricks with their tele monitors that were in the middle of the unit. After speaking with her, I said "see ya later" and turned to go back to my patient and my pocket on my cargo scrub pants caught the corner of the desk and literally ripped my pants from my front pocket back to where my back pocket would be. I have never laughed so hard at myself. After regaining my composure, I said to the nurse, "I guess they didn't share with you  that I am usually pantless by morning." It was definitely a much needed laugh prior to the patient that I was admitting next. Since nurses rarely have time to use the bathroom, I just taped my pants back together and went to admit my next patient.

I admitted a lady from the floor that was coming to the ICU for a change in mental status, acute renal failure, and respiratory decomposition. (In lay mans terms, she wasn't breathing well, so her CO2 level was high which makes you very sleepy. Her kidneys were all of a sudden not working as they should and her kidney function was very poor.) The kidneys are tricky to treat as you play a constant game of are they not working properly because one is dehydrated or do they need some help with a diuretic to make the person pee more. If you think hydrating the person is the best way to go, you have to use caution if they are also having breathing issues. It's a very fine line. And sometimes all logic goes out the window and they just plum stop breathing on you! My patient became increasingly restless and her color was getting worse. My nursing instinct of almost 10 years, told me this wasn't going to end well. As I could see her breathing slowing down, I ran out into the hallway and yelled for Cris and Connie whom were also working on my end of the hall. I merely heard crickets. I ran back into my room to begin bagging the lady and bagged her a couple times only to run back into the hall and this time I yelled, "Cris, Connie, I need help over here. I don't know where over here is though." I was in a huge ICU and in the moment could not recall my room number. Help quickly responded and the lady was promptly intubated and placed on a ventilator to breathe for her. I had awesome nurses around me to help. Thank goodness! The lady has a multitude of issues to resolve before she will start to feel better. My job here is done though. She is breathing.

I told the charge nurse when leaving, "if this is any indication that I should never float over here again, I completely understand." She responded with, "no this has just shown me that when your travel assignment is finished in the CVICU that you need to come over here." Shucks! A great group of people to meet though.

I am continuing to look at where my next home shall be. I only hope the people are as nice as they are here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Roddy, how I miss you and your quick wit. That hospital is SO LUCKY to have you!! I can't wait to hear where your travels take you next...

    ReplyDelete