Monday, September 30, 2013

Sweatshirt Weather

What could possibly be better than the crisp cool air that creeps in your window at night; while you sleep soundly, with your windows open? This is my absolute favorite time of year! I love it when the temperature is not warm enough to allow just a t-shirt to be worn, yet it is not cold enough to bust out the winter coat. That my friends, is because it is "Sweatshirt Weather." This gal's favorite season. I will ride it out until the bitter end too. It unfortunately is not a very long season.

Some of my other favorites about this time of year are bonfires with s'mores, awesome bike rides through the country where you can hear the crisp dried out leaves rustling in the wind prior to their fall from the trees, homeowners decorate their front porches with pumpkins, gourds, and corn stalks, and you can smell the smell of fall. (Sorry, I can't describe that, but I know you understand what I am saying there.)  This time of year also brings fond memories to the surface remembering collecting walnuts, peeling the shells from around them and then cracking them open with a hammer to eat the fresh nuts inside. Man those were good times. It is interesting that these walnuts that drum up such good memories from my childhood are now nearly deadly to me when I am biking. Those suckers are like land mines!I am going to collect a few though, to drum up those good memories.

Last week I explored another area of my neighborhood on a nice 30 mile bike ride. It is interesting, because in 30 miles I wheeled through suburbia, crossed over two major interstates, rode through horse country, as they call it here; obviously they have never been to Ky, and dropped into an area with the highest concentration of Jewish families in Maryland. I spoke with a very good family friend today and she depicted what I went through as a Hasidic Jewish region. Fortunately, I rolled through just after synagogue released and they flooded the streets. I have never seen anything like it. I think what really took me so aback, was that I was on a bike riding with the traffic; as I should, and I was literally almost weaving through an oncoming parade. Everyone was just in the street. The sidewalks were empty. It was the oddest thing I have ever seen and I was only hoping that they did not oppose cyclists coming though their neighborhood. I really was not conveying any malice or prejudice, I just have never seen anything like this. I am learning quite a bit about the Jewish culture, religion, and community as I live just next door.

Get out there and enjoy this whether it be on foot, on bike, or just driving on the back roads with your windows down.

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful here too Shanney in South Carolina. We can't wait for you to come home and visit, sweatshirt and all. Mom

    ReplyDelete