Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The day I disconnected and reflected.

A week ago this Friday I did something I had never done before. I waited 3 hours for a phone. But it was for an iphone. :-)

Prior to waiting for the much awaited iphone though, I mailed my phone in for some cash and went three days without a phone at all. Not even a landline people! I was a bit worried about living in Baltimore without a phone though. Indiana maybe, but I had to work the next two days and drive in and out of the city.

The lack of quality television, lack of technology tethered to my person, and the nice weather has induced deep thoughts by Shannon Roddy. It is really quite scary. I will be the first to admit that I love my iphone, but I will fully admit that we have become overteched in today's day and age. We are sadly living in an age where relationships are broken via texting, there are these ridiculously realistic video games (Grand Theft Auto) coming out and we seriously wonder why these kids don't think it is a far stretch to take guns into schools and violence is only getting worse. It is a scary world out there.

I love facebook for what it has to offer, I have kept in touch with many of you via my blog, and I love my new iphone, but I really took a bit to think if I was happy with me at this time. I determined that  I HAVE to read more. My lack of literacy is just embarassing. I want to seriously commit to working out more consistantly. I need to get my behind back to church since I am only working every other weekend now. I need to focus on truly being present when I am with friends and family. This is a tough one to do and not be distracted by all the garbage we fill our lives with.

Dane Cook, a comedian, did a set once that said it best. Two people meet for dinner and one says to the other," I am going to set my phone face up right here, so I won't miss when something more exciting than you comes in." Well said Dane, well said. I know people that choose cell phone carriers on whether they get reception at their job. Aren't you there to work? Emergencies can always call you at work. Apparently, I am old school on that thinking though. Sadly, I just see a lot of nurses spending the majority of their shift texting anyone and everyone. Maybe I am just jealous. I don't have enough people to stay texting around the clock.

I have a good friend from college that is on his honeymoon and he continues to update facebook while on his honeymoon. Really?! I would beat that boy down! Seeing this only drove my point home further.

I am not saying that anyone else has to make these changes. I am merely acknowledging that it took a couple days of being off the grid to get me to see this. For that I am grateful.

Progress already attained. I went to church this past sunday. I have met some good friends that I made in Arlington out for lunch and out to a Baltimore Orioles game. I am one week into a 12 week weight lifting program and thanks to this, I struggle to feed myself and sit normally on the toilet. I have really started watching what I am putting in my body. I am only going to watch tv when my favorite shows such as The Biggest Loser, The Voice, and Modern Family are on. Because let me tell you, I have wasted many an hour watching back to back House Hunters or Golden Girls episodes. Guess I should also legitimately study for my CCRN, as certification I have only been wanting to get for 8 years. Let's make this happen, Shannon!

Misc:
I am coming home at the end of October for a couple of weeks and boy am I excited to be coming home! Things are good here, but there is no place like home!

Bike riding is good here, but not nearly the same without my peeps.

Is it Basketball Season yet? :-)

2 comments:

  1. Love the post - great reminder for us all as we fall into bad, online habits. Soon it will be basketball season! Hope we can get out and ride together or just have dinner. You are always welcome at our place when you are in town. And, good luck with the certification!

    ReplyDelete