Friday, July 12, 2013

Exploring the Northeast

As I approached my second of seven toll stations, I couldn't help but to liken the situation to the all too famous Kentucky Derby. A line of five to seven cars enter their gates, pay their tolls, and "They're off!" The majority of the toll stations had no lines on the pavement on the other side of the booths. So I indeed found myself jockeying for the best position to streamline my move to the inside corner.

After spending a quick couple of days in Cincinnati, OH with friends, I made the drive down to South Carolina to spend some much needed time with family. I was able to spend time with my nephew, Owen, on his actual birthday. That was a first for me. He is six years old now. Very hard to believe. Kids, they grow up so quickly. I had a great time playing with the kids, playing games, watching Blake catch snakes (common occurrence when you have chickens), and just relaxing and catching up with the South Carolina clan. I hated to leave but I have an awesome bike trip planned in Maine. I was looking forward to doing the drive up the east coast to Maine. The Northeast is one of the many areas of the country that I have never seen. I am thinking of this as practice for a cross country drive for when I start travel nursing on the west coast.

I am a firm believer that everyone should have Sirius radio in their vehicle. The time just melts away and you never get bored. I am not a good long distance driver, but what a difference with the Sirius radio stations.

I had big plans to see the Statue of Liberty on my drive through the Garden State today; though Mother Nature had bigger plans for overcast weather and rain. So I ditched that plan and drove on. I rerouted my driving route and got a little lost in non other than the Bronx of New York. Luckily, I was not there long and I do believe I was in a decent area. I saw several children walking dogs alone, so I figure I couldn't have been in that poor of an area. Obviously, I found my way as I am now on the border of New Hampshire.

I continue to appreciate all the women that see me traveling alone with my bikes and remind me to stay safe. I was pulling into a gas station just south of Boston and had to back in to get to the pump where two women were in a car together, opposite my pump. I got out and saw that it was $3.83 for gas and got on my gas buddy app to see if I could find it cheaper anywhere. One lady said, "Baby, you are a  long way from home! Where you headed?" I talked with them for a couple of minutes and then they went on their way after they too wished me safe travels.

It is very odd to think about how far northeast I am on the map. I was quite excited to see the New York skyline, even if it was from afar, drive through Philadelphia, through Boston, and then I passed a sign for Newtown/Sand Hook, CT. Everyone knows what happened there without explanation. When I heard about that, Connecticut seemed so far away and now I have driven through and beyond there.

Well, I need to get some sleep for my drive tomorrow and my stop at none other than LLBean headquarters, in Freeport, Maine! How awesome is that? I am looking forward some time in the saddle in a beautiful part of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment