Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Cadence of 16 Women Cyclists


Today we did a loop ride around a neighboring island, Thompson Island. We weaved through Acadia N.P. a bit to get there and then rode the perimeter of the island. A very pretty area. I can only imagine how pretty Acadia is going to be.

On my last WomanTour ride I came to fully understand the saying, ""Life is not a destination, but a journey." So today, I led the pack for quite a while and then fell back to ride with two ladies from the Boston area. What a joy! Really, I could listen to that Boston accent forever. I find it quite intriguing. At one point, I found myself observing this very large crow or raven, I need to learn to distinguish between the two, but it stood tall and would have come about halfway up my calf; only to hear Barb behind me yelling "Cah." I continued my path to the bird because I was observing it pulling an animal carcass off the road, I know gross, but cool also. I hear Barb yell again, "Cah!" I turn to say, "Why are you mocking the bird?" It was then that I noticed the very large dually truck that is coming up behind me. Huh, she was yelling "car" that whole time. I got a good chuckle with that.

These bike tours are much like travel nursing in that you kind of get a fresh start and can reinvent yourself, if you will. That sounds like I am running from something, which I am not, but it is an interesting concept that I have acknowledged. It is awesome to be with a group of like minded women that are very active. I have yet again met some amazing women!

OMG! We went to an authentic Lobster Pound for dinner. I mean, off the beaten path, smells like fish, thousands of lobster traps in sight, and you picked the little fellow out of a tray of lobsters, only to be put to his death. I have to say that this traumatized me a bit. It was very tasty, having never eaten lobster. There was a lot of back breaking, limb snapping, and gut removal going on. The lady next to me was moaning, slobbering, lobster meat was flying everywhere, and she had this greasy possessed grin on her face. It is safe to say that she ate every single piece of meat from her lobster. Amazing but a bit disturbing to witness.

Well, I am hitting the hay for an early start for another great day of riding tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment