Tuesday, December 3, 2013

International TurkeyDay!

What does Thanksgiving mean to you? Thanksgiving to me means a time to gather with friends and family and just enjoy each other's company while grazing on good food; of course. I have great memories of my Dad waking early to put the turkey in the oven. He always told me how early he got up, that is. He would also make these amazing homemade yeast rolls that he would set on the counter under a kitchen towel to let them rise.  Of course, I always wanted to lift the towel to see them actively rising and he would quickly say, "SSsshhhhh! They are sleeping!" Then there was another Thanksgiving dinner with my mom's family. Also great memories of my grandpa making the most amazing stuffing ever! He made it every year. Even in his later years, he would sit in front of the stove and make the stuffing from a chair. My mom would turn out an amazing turkey and my aunt Annette would make the most amazing peanut butter pie I have ever tasted. The peanut butter pie became such a hit that I started insisting that she make two. As time relentlessly marches on and two of the most amazing men I have ever known, in my father and grandfather have passed on, traditions have changed.

This year, I spent Thanksgiving with my friends here in Baltimore, MD. It was very interesting in the weeks leading up to the big day. It was shaping up to be quite the international Thanksgiving gathering. Poland, Korea, China, Trinidad, Baltimorians, and Midwesterners were going to be in attendance. We were quite the eclectic group. The list of food to be brought to the table was shaping up to be quite interesting as well. Foods such as fried chicken, grilled salmon, collard greens and smoked bones, blueberry and cherry cobblers were mentioned dishes to be added to the traditional Thanksgiving treats. Initially, I was going on and on about how these items are not what Thanksgiving is about. Then I stepped back and evaluated all of the diversity that was going to be in attendance and had a stern talk with myself. "Who am I to tell others what the Thanksgiving tradition is to them?" So I began welcoming all of the different dishes.

We had an amazing spread of dishes. There were a few rookie mistakes made. It began with a 14# turkey for 18-20 people. I immediately called my family and asked if we should be panicking. So we added a spiral sliced ham last minute. The spiral ham was cooked with fresh pineapple wedged in between several of the slices, which for those that don't know, the acidity of the pineapple breaks down meat into paper mache'. So we also added some rotisserie chickens. One small important detail we failed to cover prior to the main event: who has ever cut a turkey? The beautiful turkey and it's sides were presented and then I asked "Who shall cut the turkey?" Nothing but silence filled the room. I turned to my good friend and fellow traveler's husband, Jeremy, and said "Well, you are the man here, show us what you got." His response, "Have you met my wife? She tells me how to put my pants on." I laughed out loud, though I know he was speaking the truth. So, I grabbed that knife and fork and tried to recollect how my mom, dad, or any character from any movie I had ever seen cut a turkey. I am pretty sure I failed on all fronts. The turkey was eaten, that is all that matters. :-)

After we sufficiently stuffed ourselves we engaged in quite a few fiercely competitive games of Catch Phrase. If you have never played this game, you should. It will bring anyone's competitive side to the surface.

All in all a very good Thanksgiving spent with very good friends. I hope all of you had a great day as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment