Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas Memories

Seeing my niece and nephew during the days of Christmas heightened my memories of Christmas past. Very different from today, I remember having snow most Christmases. Maybe I am filling in the gaps though. That being said, the chance of seeing snow on Christmas in South Carolina is slim.

I remember though the excitement of the whole time. As I recall, we didn't get out of school until a couple days before Christmas day. I now fully understand that unlike Thanksgiving, Christmas Day marches through the calendar week. It only took me til about middle school to figure that one out. To me, Christmas time comes with memories of practicing basketball all through the holidays. As early as middle school, we were practicing up til Christmas Eve as we had games usually on December 27th. Those memories follow through to my high school days and on into college. I can remember the crisp air in the gym and the deadening sound of the basketball when I would bounce it on the cold gym floor. These memories come to me with smiles until I get to college and all of the above were true; though the time on the clock was 5 am. All of the descriptors above don't seem so neat at an hour when no one should be awake. 

Before I was an adult and had to worry about the hustle and bustle of Christmas time, I remember getting into the spirit of Christmas by helping to pick out of the Christmas tree, decorating the tree, going door to door Christmas caroling, enjoying hot chocolate by the fireside, and just enjoying time with family. When I speak of the magic of Christmas though; I am referring to my younger years when I couldn't wait to get home from midnight church service and get into bed so that Santa could come. Thinking back though I remember counting my gifts in comparison to my brother's and shaking each gift and somehow they never broke. While I was always cognizant of the true meaning of Christmas, the presents were a very close second.

As I don't have children, I cannot speak of the children's minds that I have molded. I can only speak of the young minds that I have corrupted. I can only brag about my niece and nephew that my brother and his wife have brought up. My niece and nephew are two of the most gracious children that you will ever meet. While like every child their age they are very much about the presents, they truly understand the true meaning of Christmas to their core. They were acting out the advent for me and telling lots of Bible stories. Don't tell their parents, but they have raised those kids right!
 
As I have aged; I have progressed from hoarding presents, to loving the art of giving presents more than receiving, to really just enjoying the family time and letting that be the bigger present, and fully embracing the reason for the season in hopes that someday I shall be reunited with my loved ones that have passed that I dearly miss during these precious times. 

I hope that all of you had a great holiday season and I hope to be able to answer the question of "Where are you going to next?" soon after the New Year!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment