Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Flurry of Activity

Sixty five degrees and sunny brings everybody outdoors here in northern Virginia. As I stopped at the corner nearing a crosswalk, I looked around at the others waiting for the light to change with me. I counted 7 bicyclists, 2 unicyclists, 3 kids on skateboards, 2 roller bladers, 2 guys on "prostate" bikes as I call recumbent bikes, 3 women in full Muslim garb (just their eyes exposed), and 2 nuns in full habit. Needless to say I was busy counting during the wait. Wouldn't you know it, the nuns muscled their way to the front and beat all of us across the street. Two of the other people commented, "Bet you didn't expect that?" I couldn't agree more.

Today I set out to bike the Arlington Loop. As it would suggest, it is a loop that pretty much outlines the perimeter of Arlington, VA all via bike paths. A coworker gave me a Bike Arlington map, so I couldn't let her down. My first loop around I dedicated to measuring the distance and noticing the topography. It is a 16 mile loop from my apartment. So I decided to do this loop twice; though in my head I wanted to do it three times. Perhaps another day will evolve into three loops. Much like the Billy Goat hike, I again noticed that there were definitely more bicyclists riding towards me than with me. Yep, my direction was mostly uphill once you got past the airport. Though I wanted to reverse the second loop, I continued the tougher direction because I don't want anyone to accuse me of getting soft when I get back home for a visit.

Along with the activities mentioned above; the Potomac River was busy with kayakers, speed boats, jet ski's, and fisherman. Quite the eclectic group. What a beautiful day!

Call me simple, but the favorite part of my ride was an area called Gravelly Point. Gravelly Point is a park right on the river next to Reagan airport where you can watch planes land and take off, one after another after another..... There were picnics going on, very competitive wiffleball games, and plenty of onlookers just watching the planes. That is one busy runway. Key word there, RUNWAY. The planes taking off have to get off the runway quick because there is a plane hot on their tail ready to land. I always envisioned that airport much larger.

Well after two days of vigorous hiking and two days of biking, this girl officially feels like she has been ejected from a vehicle! So tomorrow, I shall lay low and rest up for my three days of work for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment