Monday, August 12, 2013

Time to put on my Big Girl Panties!

Well, tonight I am out of orientation and on my own. I think I am ready. There are still some little nuances and quirks that I won't know that I don't know until it arrises that I don't know them. Did you follow that?

Friday, which was my last day of orientation, I was working alongside the other travel nurse that started the same time I did. We both had transfers and then were admitting post op OH patients. We both returned from our transfer only to find out that our patient was literally rolling down the hall coming our way. What a treat! I don't even have time to hydrate, pee, or eat and it is already 12:45. All of which would be nice. Okay, I will go with it because do I really have a choice? It was then that I remember why I have worked night shift for so long. Dayshift nurses are crazy, for one. And two, the schedule is ridiculous and you almost feel guilty if you should need to hydrate, pee, or eat. It is insane. Nursing has to be one of the few professions that the higher ups that regulate the hospitals really expect that you will work a 12 hour shift and not feel the need to quench your thirst. Luckily, the two go hand in hand. Since there is no hydration going on, the urge to pee really never hits you til 6 pm, which then I resist the urge because then I am exerting my final surge of energy to tidy up so that I can get out on time. So the result of a no open container law, you will find nurses in the clean utility room where the ice machine is bolusing themselves with water. I have never been a drinker, but I really think a water bong would be awesome and highly effective. Also nursing has taught me to eat small frequent meals whenever the chance arises, because there is no guarantee that the opportunity will arise again. All that aside, I do love bedside nursing. I guess every job has its challenges.

I spent the weekend out with Silvia, the other traveler, and her husband. We meandered down to Fells Point and walked around down around the Inner Harbor. This weekend there was an Otakon convention. What a treat! Apparently, it is the largest nonspecific anime' convention. Last weekend the convention center held PonyCon. That is a whole convention devoted to the biggest collectors of My Little Pony. Trust me, that is a whole different breed of human. I should really look at the convention schedule and let that be my gauge of if a downtown trip is warranted. I spent my Saturday evening watching street performers, which are very good in downtown, and taking pics of all of the people walking around downtown. It was quite the spectacle. I will post some pictures.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment