Friday, January 24, 2014

The Family Visit Glitch

This past weekend an event that has never happened occurred. My brother and his family came to visit me in Baltimore. This is the first time ever that Blake has ever come to visit me! I am not keeping track of my visits versus his though. I don't want to give the wrong impression. It was a brief visit but an amazing visit. I don't want to brag but I have the most amazing brother ever!

So the Roddy family arrived on Saturday evening. There were a few details that I failed to think about when 4 individuals were on their way to visit me. As a travel nurse, I am constantly seeking ways to become more and more of a minimalist. I am so far from a minimalist, I thought I would be good. I started thinking about the four dinner plates that I have, the four bowls that I have, the four salad plates that I have, the four chairs that I have, I am sure that you are seeing my point. I was not prepared for 5 people total! We made it work though, no problem. So the kids ate on the salad plates. Dessert was also served in coffee mugs/bowls. The coffee table was easily pulled up the table and was just the right height for a fifth chair.

It was after dinner that the usual Shannon Roddy observance was made. Shannon Roddy does not drink coffee, therefore I do not own a coffee maker. I do not own a coffee maker. I do not own a coffee maker. This situation I am learning can almost be a deal breaker. Coffee is crack to many. Luckily, I always manage to have a coffee shop within a couple miles of my domain.

It was that evening that the most glaring oversight became apparent. I only have three bath towels with me here. Hmm, never thought of this. So I offered to use a hand towel for the weekend. Blake came down asking for a wash cloth before the kids showered. I haven't used a wash cloth for years when I shower, I use a loofah. I mean, who doesn't use a loofah in 2014? The Roddy family apparently. Luckily, I was able to quickly locate a really old wash cloth that I keep with me that I use to clean my bike chain. The kids looked no worse for the wear.

Aside from the above listed glitches we had a great visit. We made a visit to Ft. McHenry which was pivotal in the War of 1812 and the writing of The Star Spangled Banner, thanks to Francis Scott Key. We then drove to Federal Hill and had a very nice packed lunch overlooking the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. The South Carolina folks were a bit chilly as it was only 42 degrees and sunny. It was one of the best days we have had here in Baltimore for a while. We have had quite a bit of snow. After lunch, we made our way to the Science Center and learned a whole bunch of nerdy science facts.

Packed into the weekend as well, were some intense battles on the Nintendo Wii. There was sword fighting, canoeing, boxing, tennis, and biking. We were just five kids having a great time together! Monday morning they headed south, back to South Carolina. :-(

Now that I know these things, I shall be better prepared next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment