Friday, February 28, 2014

The Energy Club

Last night I had the pleasure of getting a guest pass to a spinning class at the Energy Club; which is the gym that I checked out yesterday.

As I mentioned before, it is still quite chilly here, so cycling outside would be quite miserable. So I have decided that I need to start spinning and cross training. When I got the tour yesterday, Karmina spoke very highly of Matt T. He apparently is an Ironman and does a lot of triathlons each year. So there is Matt T. whom is a killer in the spinning room, two Russians that teach the kettle ball class, and then the GM whom is also fit to the T who teaches a class with a step and a barbell on your shoulders. Pretty much is all looks miserable but I can only get stronger from it all. Just observing two minutes of the kettle ball class, made my legs hurt all over. Then can you imagine crying on the inside and having a Russian lady yelling at you? When I think of Russians and exercise, for some reason I think of pain.

I arrived at the spinning class about 10 minutes early, met Matt T., who by the way looks like every other serious triathlete I know, and started setting up my bike. Now I was told that Matt's class is the most demanding and he is the best instructor, so naturally the class was full. The room was 50/50 men and women. I was noticing though that everyone had not one but two water bottles and 3-4 towels, to my one water bottle and one towel. I turned to the lady next to me and asked, "Should I go get more water and just bring the rest of the towels in here, because I tend to work up a healthy sweat?" She just looked at me and giggled. A few minutes later, Matt welcomed the two French women that joined the class for the night. Of course, it would be me that says something smart-aleck to one of the two French women in the room. So I took that as a compliment that she didn't not think my humor was funny, she didn't understand me. :-)

If you have never been to a spinning class you really should go. It is an awesome workout and your butt hurts for weeks after the first class. The pain is what keeps you going back. Because it is only the repeated exposure that helps the pain dissipate. I like spinning because it really helps me hone my form which only helps me on the road. My hope for my Ireland trip is to beat Leslie, a social worker from IN that I met in Utah, up just one hill. She is an absolute beast on hills on the bicycle. She is an amazing woman!

Well, I am off to join the gym today. I enjoyed last night that I need to see what other pain they can offer me! Have a great day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment